Sunday, June 02, 2024

Six Sentence Sunday: Signs and Portents: Partners

Signs and Portents: Partners

BookWorm's Library | Ao3

The bastard. Selina's fingers manipulated the lock picks automatically and left her mind free to run on the same track it had been running on for the past few days. The man she had mocked as a parasite, the man who gave Gotham everything he had, the man she had betrayed, the man who forgave her and trusted her to follow his path, the man she saved, the man who got past her claws and walls, the man she kissed without any ulterior motive, the man who died so a city might live.

Calling him the bastard was the trick to keeping her tears at bay.

The massive doors swung open silently. She didn't bother keeping her footsteps quiet on the marble floors.


Summary: Selina went after the Wayne pearls for a second time, and found something else entirely.

I started this story almost the second after I left the movie theater with the Dark Knight Rises still coursing through my head. I also exited firmly in the camp that the last scene was real and not a mental breakdown for poor Alfred. I outlined my reasons in a review blog post I wrote over supper, and then had the niggle thought: Selina helped him set the stuff up in Gotham. So it became the second story in the Signs and Portents series. I hope you enjoy this take on the Nolanverse.

No comments: