Monday, June 18, 2007

Dealing with names

This morning I've been thinking about names. I developed a problem with character names. "Zy" and that character came first, but not her Earth name. Later, I developed a character for a Call of Cuthulu game by asking myself how Zy would have turned out if she hadn't gone to outer space. So that was the origin of Cynthia Towers.

So when I returned to Zy, I thought playing on "Cynthia Towers" was a good idea. Tried spelling "Cynthia" funny; that didn't work. "Towers" became "Tauers" and no one could figure out how to pronounce that either. So time for something new, but my naming books weren't being helpful.

I found two websites: Behind the Name: the etymology and history of first names and Behind the Name: the etymology and history of surnames. And they let you search on meanings. So I searched on moon and moon goddess for the first name and "protection, fortress, castle" for the last name.

First Name Choices
  • Selina/Selene - reminds me of Catwoman

  • Chandra - I like but trying to get away from C's

  • Pandia - sounds more like a follower of Pan

  • Arianrhod - Welsh and I like it but I can't pronounce it

  • Diana - already used for a character

  • Rhiannon - already used for a character

  • Bridget - actually Celtic goddess of fire and poetry, which sounded pretty good for the character I've called "responsible implusiveness


Last Name Choices
  • Castle/Castell

  • Wyman

  • Rattray

  • Dunbar

  • Morris

  • Tittensor

  • Yates


I settled on Bridget Wyman.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like it. Gives a nice picture of the character. Also it won't date.