Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Phantom Highwayman Notes 02

"Phantom Highwayman" is not gelling, and I can't figure out how to fix it. It's the same honking problem I get every time I attempt a short story, the result is a big yawn. My protagonists doesn't do anything. The editing problem is where usually I can see a zag to go for instead of zig. So far, it's been three days and no zag. No zag, no zag, go back to the archetype.

Archetype: girl in dress walking along the road, guy or guys give her a ride to the dance they're heading too. Says that's where she's going. Have a good time. Go to take her back to the address she gives and she vanishes from the car. Talk to people at the house; she's a relation dead for years. Find jacket or some other personal object on her tombstone.

So the Highwayman's ghost walks into the pub... I need to noodle that to see if it is really a zag. It sounds like the beginnings of a bad joke, but if places really have memories and if Bess has issues after her suicide.

No comments: