Monday, October 24, 2005

Zy's Novel Post 19

Novel Total = 19,727 words
Post total = 451 words

“Xeryl,” Zy faltered. What she should say was hard enough and his demeanor wasn’t making it any easier. Oh just say it, at worse it’lll be another fight. “About earlier, I’m tired….”

“I can see that, Agent.” Xeryl’s shoulders tightened under his crisp blue shirt. “And I brought you into this mess, and I would like to see you survive to finish it.”

“Every time I turn around, there’s another body.” Zy draped the purple bathrode over the cushioned stone column set next to the bar section of the counter. She didn’t need to twist the garment in her hands. “And you pushing my buttons when I’m tired doesn’t help.”

Xeryl turned, his violet eyes narrowing. The tempature of his voice dropped another degree. “Now that I take exception to. No matter what I say if it shows the least bit of concern for you it is suspect. My personal feelings aside, do you think I want to explain to IGA what happened to their agent?”

The whole reason I’m here is because of you! Zy quashed the thought before she shouted again. No, she had to maintain a professional relationship and even that stretched it. “You want me to do everything your way and I can’t.” She tugged on a longer lock of bright blue hair. “I must maintain independence for the investigation.”

He poured two glasses full of the sugary concotion as the tension carried in his shoulders relaxed. He guided one of the glasses across the counter to Zy and picked up the other one. After a gulp, he resumed the conversation in a warmer tone. “I think we already had this conversation today.”

“Then why are we still on the same topic?”

Xeryl ignored her mutter. “I’m not telling you what to do. I’m offering my expertise and observations. Do what you will with them, but do not automatically dismiss them because they are from me.”

“Very alturistic of you.” Zy crossed her arms.

“Not really. I don’t want to end up in an IGA prison because you got yourself killed. Finish your drink while I contact D’pa.” He crossed the room to an intercom unit on the wall.

She picked up the drink, rolling her eyes. The idea of IGA prison might upset Xeryl, but she doubted it would be a useful threat against D’pa. Probably a better excuse to add her head to the outside decorations. She drained the glass before she could shudder.

Mylte stepped up to her side. “Mistress Zy, will you need my skills for the interrogation?”

“What skills?”

“Did you forget to ask for his resume when you obtain his circumstances?” Xeryl carried his glass to the sink. He had his back to her dirty look. “D’pa is coming here.”

“What skills, Mylte?”

No comments: