Friday, December 14, 2007

Starbucks Experiment Day 3

What the hell? Monday was a big time suck of 953 words, but I came out of it with a plan. A plan that I proceeded to ignore for the next two days.

I did the 5 minutes, but after I got home, nothing. I would tell myself "Go wash the dishes if you're not going to write" and the dishes didn't get washed either. I was trying not to beat up on myself but it was still maddening. "You know what to do, now just do it!" And me not doing it is the equivalent of blowing a giant raspberry at what I have to do. What I want to do.

Thursday, it vanished. While still at work, I got the first draft of the first short project done. At Starbucks, I worked on the Educator's Guide and ended up clearing off 5 next action steps. Course, I created a slew of more next action steps but the ultimate size of each step is small. I ended up with 150 new words and two revisions I'm really happy with.

So now I'm wondering if it is the home-is-too-distracting problem cropping up again. I have the study carrel in the Library, but holiday hours don't conform well with my schedule. Working at home is my only option, I can't afford to eat out every night. So this weekend I have a new project: make the office less distracting.

No comments: