Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Making Whole Notes 01

I'm beginning to suspect I don't have all the pieces to finish the jigsaw puzzle. I'm borrowing a metaphor from Wil Wheaton, in which he compares writing with an outline like "connecting the dots" and writing without one to "assembling a jigsaw puzzle."

I had vague outline for "Making Whole," my submission for the Tin Man/Alice crossover challenge. And by vague I mean the problem, the solution, some character reactions that should expand into scenes. I usually don't start writing until they have built up into scenes.

So I have Az and Ambrose/Glitch on the Other Side with Alice and Hatter, and the solution to the problem involves medical procedures. Not Alice or Hatter's area of specialties, so they really don't have much to do :p and I don't know how much to cover without ick factor kicking in. There is a point of TMI.

And I really need to find a conclusion so I can edit what I have into something readable.

So back to the metaphor, I feel like I'm shaking the box for the pieces I need and I'm getting pieces the shows this puzzle just doubled in size. And then they change color on me. And I really want a dragon to invade Alice's city because I can write dragon invasions; this character introspection stuff makes me feel like I'm failing everybody who showed up for this. Accept Charlie because nothing he did was on camera. :p

No comments: