Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Zy's Novel Post 15

Total number of words for novel = 18,792

“You can lie better than that.”

“Maybe you’re reading too much into exhaustion.”

“I have to catch this murderer. You said that like there is doubt that you would, that you could. Like you’re going to take this case seriously.”

“Now what’s that supposed to mean? He might not stop with racketeers. He might start wiping out whole towns and planets next.”

He looked at her, his violet eyes nearly black. “The only good racketeer is a dead one.”

“When have I ever said that?” Her voice was quiet, but built on a stone foundation. “Murder is wrong. No other mortal gets to pick when another mortal should die. Doesn’t matter who they are or what they have done. Do you understand me?”

“Your integrity has very few flaws running through it. Now what has you so worried about this case? You didn’t act this way over Ifeket’s murder.”

“I am now. He and Corbaine are connected to this murderer. Maybe representing his learning curve.”

“Learning curve?”

“Did you become a successful racketeer the first time you made a deal? Murder takes practice too, if you plan on doing it or need to do it over and over again. And don’t want to get caught.”

“You have more than enough confidence in your abilities for ten people. Why is this different?”

Zy finished off the drink. “Stop stressing me. A serial killer is hard enough to deal with.”

“And you’ve already dealt with one. Why is this different?”

“It is. Just deal with it.”

Xeryl gritted his teeth. “Why is it so hard to have a conversation with you?”

“Because I can make it that way.” She crossed her arms. “You won’t let go of some delusion you have about me, and I’m tired of having this conversation. He’s a murderer and he has to be stopped.”

“I repeat, you can lie better than that. Why are you so worried about this case?”

“I just don’t want any more people to die because of me, okay? Sounds valid to me.” Zy set the glass down before she threw it at his head. Besides, it was true. It was her job to protect everyone from a threat like this. It didn’t matter how innocent—or not with these victims—the victim was, they didn’t deserve horrible deaths.

“Who would blame you, you’re not doing the killing?”

No comments: