Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Hyrueliana Edits Post 11

Zeldra fled, heedless of the grabbing branches that snatched at her hair and her dress. She could see a stone building through the trees and aimed for it. Maybe there would be help.


“Running away, Zeldra?” Agmaraa blocked her path, appearing suddenly in the darkness. “Run back to your father.”


“And deny my heart? I will not be trapped in a cage.”


“You can survive without love. And your father has done me no wrong. Do not make me take him tidings of your death.”


“You care nothing for my father!” Zeldra stepped away from Agmaraa’s outstretched hand. “You just use him to hurt the Elves you hate.”


“Actually, I don’t hate the Elves. But I can’t let you and your precious prince breed a brat that will kill me. You don’t want him hurt, do you, Zeldra?” Agmaraa stepped closer. “Go over the Border Mountains, become a Queen like your father wishes, and the Elf will live a long life.”


“Why can’t you just leave us be?” Tears sprang to Zeldra’s eyes.


“I explained that, you silly girl. I—“ A bolt of white light flashed through the forest and hit Agmaraa. She staggered back with a silent scream and Zeldra could see bones through flesh.


Zeldra ran again. She broke through the underbrush into a clearing. What she had thought was a stone building was a lifted portion of the earth hemmed with stone blocks and guarded by two large pillars. A tunnel headed down. She didn’t hesitate but plunged into it.


The tunnel ended in a larger, torch-lit tunnel. Somewhere deeper a bell tolled, and a group of armored Elves ran closer with each peel. “Halt intruder!”


More steps were in the tunnel behind her. Zeldra whirled to see a haggard Agmaraa raiser her hand and send a blast of purple fire. It surrounded the Elves and their flesh melted away. Their bones and weapons clattered on the floor. Zeldra screamed.


Agmaraa grabbed her. “See what you have made me do? But already one exists that can hurt me.”


“Let her go.”


The women whirled to see Orden entering the tunnel. Agmaraa smiled. “And what would you do to me?”


“I swore to her father I would protect her. That includes from you.” He brandished his sword and stepped forward.


Agmaraa smirked. “Oh Orden, do you think I’m going to make this easy for you?” She gripped Zeldra’s shoulders and jerked her back. The floor beneath their feet sped away, and Zeldra looking up realized that she and the witch were flying down the tunnel. Orden ran but grew smaller.


The witch sighed in her ear. “I tried to keep it from coming to this. I really did.”

No comments: