Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Hyrueliana Edits Post 12

Lont leaned heavily on his unnamed love. They entered the clearing and saw Zeldra’s prince and the Elf woman warrior arguing outside the stone bordered tunnel opening.

“It is the Forbidden Way. No Elf can take that path.”

The cloth clad warrior shook off Holias’s restraining hand. “I’m not an Elf.” She marched to the opening flanked by two stone pillars. She slammed into something unseen and flew back.

Holias offered his hand as she laid on her back. “Apparantly you are enough of an Elf for the spell to hold.”

“Why is it forbidden?” She grabbed his hand.

“It is the most direct tunnel between our caves and the moblin fortress in Death Mountain. It’s old magic, Zoe. No moblin can use it as well.”

“Zeldra went down there?” Lont pointed to the opening.

“Yes and Agmaraa and Orden.” Zoe’s mouth twisted.

“Okay, I’ll scout.”

“Lont!” She turned distrught blue eyes up at him.

He released her shoulders. “We’re not hearing sounds of battle or murder. And Zeldra is my friend.” She didn’t say anything else, and he passed the stone pillars without the violence Zoe had suffered. Descending into the larger tunnel, he heard a bell and smelled death. A pile of armed skeletons had tumbled together to the north end of the tunnel. Must be the witch’s doing. Lont picked up a discarded sword.

“I’ve always wanted to try an Elvenblade. I hope your previous owner doesn’t mind.” He turned to the south.

Two pillars marked it from the rest of the tunnel and dust caked the floor. Footprints marred the dust. Three sets, two with gown marks and one without. Then a disturbance in the dust, after that the man’s footprints ran down the tunnel.
Lont sighed. “Zeldra, if we survive all this, what a tale it will make.” He climbed back up to the surface.

Cathina draped her head over her love’s shoulder. She petted the horse. “She came back.”

“Cathina is a good horse.” Lont rest his head against Cathina’s muzzle. “Near as I can tell, Orden ran down the tunnel toward Death Mountain. I’m guessing, but Agmaraa magicing Zeldra to there is not unthinkable.”

Holias’s face twisted, but he regained control over it and turned to Zoe. “What do we do, Hyrueliana?”

Zoe started, "What did you call me?"

Holias smiled, "Hyrueliana, witch-slayer."

"But I didn't slay the witch."

“The magic from your sword hurt her. None of us could manage that.” Holias drew his sword, laid it at Zoe’s feet and knelt in front of it. "I pledge myself to you: Zoe, the Changeling, the Hyrueliana. Command your Knight."

"I, too, pledge myself." Lont laid his new sword down and knelt as well.

Zoe took a deep breath. “Lont, you're human. Follow him through the Forbidden Way. Keep him from doing something stupid. Holias and I will take the Overworld route."

Lont nodded and his Elf love pulled him aside. “Be careful, Lont.”

He kissed her, and held her tight. “I will return. Just for you.”

"I am Meletas," she whispered in his ear.

Lont kissed her again, "Now, I will be sure to return, Meletas." He slowly let her go, and mounted Cathina. His horse went into the tunnel easily, but skitted near the death. He steered her to the south and she calmed again. “Let’s go. Do you think the Hyrueliana would be upset if I let you kick Orden?”

No comments: