Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Forget the Sun Metrics 07


Progress Bar from Writertopia

METRICS
New Words: 140
Chapter One total: 2111
Chapter Two total: 1170
Total words for the first draft: 3281
What I hate about my writing: Getting lost in research.
The Good: I got thirty minutes in on research in the morning before work. Got lost in a Google search of what a 1904 bride would wear.
The Bad: I only got 12 minutes of typing in at the paying job because I got lost on a Google search of painting techniques.
Fave line: Nameplates on the frames would be useful.
What I'm looking forward to: IF my finances go well and I don't run into major issues with car or house, I'm buying a laptop so I don't have to deal with second-hand smoke through my papers.
What I'm not looking forward to: Taking Mom to Biloxi again, because I got so much writing done the last time we went. :p

Sometimes, giving characters hobbies that I have no idea how to do is a headache. Robert is a painter, though he has slacked off on that over the decades. Peggy's portrait displayed in the library is the last one he has done. A landscape he did while he was still alive is displayed in the dining room. He doesn't know that his daughter is an artist, and Peg doesn't know that about her father. So Peg is exploring the mansion and I wanted her to recognize that both paintings despite using different techniques were painted by the same artist. Then both of them bond a little over art.

People match artwork to artists all the time, so that part I wasn't worried about. Read the Wikipedia article on oil painting and found out about the difference between Mixed Technique (Mixed Method) and wet-on-wet, which would apply to the roughly seventy-eight-year-old landscape. So my question shifted. Can an artist trained in the same medium tell the difference between the two techniques? And how?

So I need some technical advice, but it's not a plot point a la Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L. Sayers. Anyone have some sources?

No comments: