Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Forget the Sun Metrics 23


Progress Bar from Writertopia

METRICS
New Words: 688
Chapter One total: 2111
Chapter Two total: 2525
Chapter Three total: 3807
Chapter Four total: 565
Total words for the first draft: 9008
What I hate about my writing: Having to reboot my head.
The Good: The start of a brand new month meant I had to sit down with myself and figure out what the hell was wrong with me and the goals I keep making and breaking. That led to me discovering that I see my writing urge as a dangerous and hungry tiger and that I hadn't been giving the tiger playthings for this story. Since it's late and I don't want to dig out the notes I made yesterday, the metaphor basically means I've been spending too much of my daydreaming time with Batman and none at all with my vampires and dhampirs and drujs. Why did I need to? I already worked out the beat sheet. Boot to head that NOT spending the daydreaming time means I feel like writing this story is something I HAVE to do and it gets shelves in the same loathing but necessary place that washing the dishes lives in. (And we all know how much fun I find in washing the dishes.) Luckily, once I get started actually writing, I'm not blocked. This block is in feeling that I have to force myself to focus on this story. I've taken deadline pressure off (not that I ever really felt it this year) and I'm all about finding my dreaming way into this story, so I feel like I can't not write it.

Techniques that help: Reading over the entire beat sheet, not just the scene I'm working on or what scene is coming next. Looking over character's tiddlers. Creating location maps.
The Bad: I'm undecided about including a quote from a work I've never written in Chapter Three. Forgetting that I needed to look up medical examiner information in my reference books at home. Having to stop and figure out the location's layout.
What I Accomplished in the Narrative Today: Finished Chapter Three and now started Chapter Four with Raven's introduction.
Fave line: "I'd rather be awake when the monsters are out."
What I'm looking forward to: Raven meeting Strix and both of them know what the other is.
What I'm not looking forward to: Figuring out how to work harder on the weekends.

No comments: