Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tin Man: Pirates Metrics 74

Tin Man: Pirates of the Nonestic

Progress Bar from Writertopia

Metrics
Tin Man: Pirates of the Nonestic

New words: 1064
Total words for part one of draft: 57113
Total words: 92370
What I hate about my writing: When my time to type is used up by stupid traffic in my way going home.
The Good: TAXES ARE DONE! What I have left on the computer is making sure all my devices are installed and working, and then I can organize My Documents. I’ve got all my equipment installed, but I haven’t actually tested the scanner and camera input yet. Without really doing anything but plugging in the rear speakers, I got sound playing normally on QuickTime. But RealPlayer refuses to play anything. It’s not the files because I brought the external hard drive to work where the files played just fine. That fix will probably be seeing if I can get them to play in WinAmp or Windows Media Player and just uninstall RealPlayer. Now I’m setting up the archive of files on the external hard drive and moving what I’m currently using to the C drive so I can set up my home back up systems.

Thirty minutes, will I actually get a whole hour today?
The Bad: Skipped two days. I honestly intended to work more when I got home on the 14th, but by the time I finished with the taxes and more installing programs, the will to do so was gone. Just as well, since I only reinstalled Microsoft Office the morning of the 15th. I ended up without time at lunch to type and spent the night watching TV. No, I didn’t get the full hour, but I did write longhand notes while I was eating dinner.
Fave DG line: “It’s usually you reassuring me that the weird thing is perfectly normal. So yeah, I’m enjoying this.” She squeezed his hand as the floor sloped upward. “I won’t rub it in. I won’t even tell anyone.” – I thought it was about time that DG has reached the point of “everything is weird and I’m not going to react to it any more.”
Fave Cain line: “Don’t worry, we have food.”
Fave Betsy line: “People have been rescued from the Gnome King’s collection before. There are stories. So what did they do?”
Fave Kaliko line: “There was always a dispute with the Land of Ev over who was truly in charge.” Kaliko laughed, which sounded like two rocks grinding together. “I suppose that was settled when the King dragged us all out to sea.”
What I'm looking forward to: Roquat, you really aren’t paranoid if they are out to get you, Gnome King. I suspect my visual description is heavily influenced on Return to Oz the movie’s set design, though I have been referring back to the text in Ozma of Oz. Totally humorous moment for me: I had DG describe the Royal Healer as a Santa Claus look-alike. When Dorothy and Ozma first meet the Gnome King in Ozma of Oz, Dorothy says he looks just like Santa Clause and the Nome King quotes the description for “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” I didn’t reread Ozma of Oz before I started writing—I didn’t want the plot to influence me—and I honestly didn’t remember this description from when I did read it.
What I'm not looking forward to: Having to build up creepy suspense factor in the upcoming scenes. I never feel very strong with writing those. Roquat is dangerous because he’s a functional insane being, but I don’t want to fall into “he just evil” stereotype. But I think everyone can agree the whole turning people and gnomes into dust collectors isn’t a healthy use of magic.

No comments: