Monday, November 03, 2008

Biker Mice From Mars: Turbo 3

Biker Mice From Mars: Wars Are Won: Turbo

Progress Bar from Writertopia

Metrics
Biker Mice From Mars: Wars Are Won: Turbo

New words: 1813
Total words: 5714
What I hate about my writing: I can’t seem to write fast enough.
The Good: I finished Scene #4 in long-hand, because it is easier to write on paper while handling the checks on the paying job.
The Bad: Two hours of typing time to get 1813 words. That equals 906 words an hour. And that wouldn’t be that good if I didn’t already have Modo and Throttle’s scene finished on paper. I’m all anxious about Charley and Throttle’s spat in Scene #3. It just doesn’t feel very organic. I’m not going to fret over it now, just noting that I might need to go back in editing and tweak it. The improv exercise of conflicting motivations might be useful for that scene. Now if I could only remember what book I read it in.
Fave Throttle line: “What does baseball have to do with this?”
Fave Modo line: “This will probably take jewelry to make up for. Though Charley isn’t much for jewelry; maybe you should buy her that air compressor she’s been eyeing.”
What I'm looking forward to: Finishing typing what I have written. And doing a scene from Limburger’s POV. I reread Shatter Your Illusions to have a scene fresh in my mind when Modo refers back to it, and I really enjoyed all the asides I wrote from Limburger’s POV during the first fight.
What I'm not looking forward to: I need to ramp up my fight scenes, especially with the battle bikes. After rereading Shatter Your Illusions, I think I’ve let my descriptive narrative coast by lately.

And I keep writing until I reach 1700 words a day or more. I liked it better trying to keep it to two scenes a day, but as I discovered last night, I'm not at my writing best by the time I return home. When you don't remember why you set a timer and what to do when it goes off, it's time for bed. Plus I need a cutoff to say "that's great for today, now go do something else like your budget."

I didn't want to write any of the manuscript for Turbo in long-hand so I could discover how fast I can compose on the computer. But I found out at the paying job, it is quicker to jot down a sentence in the notebook while waiting for the computer program to finish its process, rather than pulling up Word and timing myself. Timing myself because I am tracking how many writing hours I spend writing Turbo, a factor of how fast I can compose on the computer and how much time I need to carve out of my day for my writing time. If I only have an hour a day available, I need to scale back my word count expectations. If I have to reach this amount of words for a deadline, I need to set aside this much time. Right now, I have no clue what my baseline is for any of it, which make me create unrealistic expectations. Luckily, I really don't have to do any calculations for this because the Excel marathon tracker does it already. :D I just have to fill out. But it's easier to time myself with the stopwatch at work if I just do it while at lunch.

It would all be easier if my brain didn't run away with the scenes faster than I can keep up. I kept coming up with great stuff for Modo and Throttle to say, and then got scared I would forget it. *Shrug* Still debating how to handle my days off and weekends. Writing extra is good, but so would be finishing other projects. Well, tomorrow depends on how long I spend in line to vote and how long I spend at school.

No comments: